This week has flown by in a blissful state of temporal suspension. I have been painting. Finally. I can’t even begin to explain the simple, unadulterated joy this brings me. I will have paintings to share with you very soon (fingers crossed for next week), but in the meantime I wanted to give you a glimpse of what the preparation has been like.
As you may remember, I mentioned early on that we were finishing out the studio space upstairs. Well at long last, and through many trials and tribulations, it is done.
This is what it looked like in the early stages, after Jacob and I had taped, mudded, sanded and begun to prime.
And this is the beautiful sanctuary I now enjoy. Thanks Dad and Kris!
I take pride in the fact that my paintings are my own creation from start to finish. This means I assemble the stretcher boards from scratch, stretch, gesso, and sand the canvas myself. Over the years I have found that this is not only cheaper in the long run, but allows a greater connection with my materials and consequently the finished work. Jacob (as ever) was the very model of helpfulness, volunteering for sawing and drilling duty.
We began with 7 and 10 foot lengths of brick molding…
Typically, I prefer to use a chop saw to get the 45 degree corner cuts. Since room was scarce on our move down, Jacob woefully had to leave most of his tools in Seattle. We made do with an old and trusty miter saw temporarily donated to the cause by my father.
Once the lengths are measured, cut and assembled, we use clamps, wood glue, and screws to secure the frame.
The next step is to measure (and measure again) and cut the canvas from my giant bulk roll.
Sita wanted to help of course.
Stretching the measure canvas is a painstaking and exhausting process. To get the canvas stretched evenly, you must mirror each pull and staple.
Finally, after applying and sanding a minimum of three layers of gesso, I am rewarded with a pristine, soft ground just begging to be filled by my imagination.
And now it is back to the studio! Happy Friday everyone!